Saturday, September 19, 2009

Top Down / Bottom Up

1 week of DMP! 2 more to go. Yeah! This year has been a more fruitful DMP year... I remember last year where I only had Metaethics, national identity through movies, history through com games... wow, one was boring, one was movie, and one was computer games.

Yesterday we had another session of Nanotechnology, which is turning out to be a pretty cool module. First, we fiddled with the gold solution (Mr Koh kept emphasizing how expensive it was). The theory behind it was quite interesting, and we managed to successfully complete the experiment! The previous time the whole class screwed up lol. So, we ended up with different containers of different colored gold solutions XD

Then, we had the chance to retry the ferrofluid experiment. I think we failed last time because of the ammonia, because this time, using a different batch, it worked! Basically a ferrofluid is nanoiron particles that is suspended in a solution, which means is that the liquid behaves like a magnetic object! After removing the excess liquid, we were left with a black goo that we kept in a tube. When I got home I played around using my own magnet, and guess what? It shot up in spikes (following the magnetic field). Ok, not as good as lionel's, but choo, it worked! :D

Haha it reminds me of Venom from Spiderman 3!

About Me

Wishes

Tagboard

Archives

Blogroll

Template