Thursday, December 31, 2009

Looking Back (2009)

It is the last day of the year... again! How it seems time flies when we look back on it now! And yet, we couldn't stand it while we were pumping our hearts out in the grass, or staring with glazed eyes during lessons, or simply just waiting for something big to happen. Well, it happened. And now, I guess we all have the sad sad responsibility to see our achievements, our effort and that small yet big parts of our lives become the latest links in the long chain known as our past.

Secondary 4 is a special year to me. It signals the end of a period of my learning. Coming into the new year, I remember being confused, uncertain and unsure of myself. Haiz, I would like to say I had a clear vision of what I wanted right from the beginning, but truth is, I sort of fumbled along. I think what really made the difference, and tipped 2009 from being a disaster to a sort of success to me, is how I became more willing to accept change and put in my best.

4M is definitely a unique class, for better or for worse. Till today, I'm still not sure how the class dynamics play out. Maybe it was just a result of strong lower sec bonds, and a lack of effort. But what I want to say is that people adapt, and some people just stand out whether in terms of leadership, or just being a good friend. There are people in 4M I really respect, and it is my regret that I didn't put in more effort into the friendship. Ye Oon, Wen Jian, Delwyn and Chin Jie, Hui Hao, Lionel, You Sheng, Kok Peng... keep shining y'all! The memories won't fade, not so soon at least. (:

Scouts became a bigger part of my life, I guess commitment-wise it just gets bigger as you go along haha. I don't resent that. Its hard to describe what I feel for 01, but its definitely clear that I do feel strongly for it, and under great VTLs like Zhi Xuan and Chee Yeow, the experience just built up. There were times where just meeting up with 01'06 was something to look forward to. Of course, there were low points. The points-clearing during GTC is probably something that I won't want to revisit for a long time, but really, hardship builds friendships. Thanks for a great year, 01-06, and to those who aren't returning next year, stay in touch. I want to be known as part of 01'06, and not GC'10 or anything. (:

As for other activities, I did take up key roles, so that's one of my resolutions accomplished. Being I/C for First Day Comm was something I volunteered for, and I'm glad that we, as a team, pulled off a great Day 1 despite some glitches along the way. A big boost of self-belief for me was when I was nominated, and then voted as Refurb I/C. Its a cool feeling, knowing that people trust in me and my abilities, and were willing to back me up. I'll be the first to say this, but I'll probably nobody's idea of a perfect leader, but hey, I'm trying, and learning as I go along.

Speaking of leaders, there are plenty of great role models out there in our batch, and I'm thankful to have the opportunity to work and play with them. Throughout the year, I've actually tried to make a list of the people I admire. The list is pretty long! I'll like to name names, but I'll also hate to miss anyone out, but bear in mind that everyone has something to teach, something worth learning from. Thank you!

So, 2009?

Its been a boomz year (:

About Me

Wishes

Tagboard

Archives

Blogroll

Template