Yesterday was Raffles Trail. My 5th! This time, returning as a J1, with a different perspective but definitely still the same view on things.
I guess with regards to the different CCAs, uniform groups, or maybe just 01 Scouts in particular put in a lot of effort into this... Sports CCAs may have their DSAs and other incentives, but unless you're one of those with a special talent or skill in a certain area (eg hitting a ball with a stick haha), there are so many other choices in RI.
Being in 01 for so long, it's hard to think of myself being in another CCA. Over the 4 years so far, 01 has really been like a family, and speaking about it to parents during the trail, or just listening to some of my juniors talk with the same passion is really a great feeling, because well, its all unscripted. What comes out, comes from the heart.
Jack narrates his own experience of CCA choice very well... listening to his reasons and his conviction really makes me appreciate what '01 Scouts' means to all of us who have been through the programme. Which other CCA still has seniors passionate enough to come back and help out when they are in JC?
When I'm guiding parents, I like to emphasize that Scouts is not just about tying knots or accumulating badges. They look around, surprised that we actually have a wide array of activities on hand. Most people come in with a fixed mindset and leave with a slightly better idea of what we do. The poster boards at the booth are just the tip of the ice-berg... we are so much more than that, really, its just hard to convey (especially in my limited chinese. XD sorry to those parents who had to listen to me make a mangle of it. hopefully this is not a precursor of next Monday)
The inevitable question always comes up: What's the difference between 01 and 02? Well, I haven't been in 02 before, so I'm not familiar with their system. Asking us to compare each other is like asking two individuals who is the better human being... I guess there will be some areas where we excel in, some others that they do. It's just not for us to judge though.
That's why when I hear answers that say a certain group is better in these area, or that this group just focuses on skills and knots, or even the ultimate lame answer: this group is just more fun, I cringe. Believe me, both sides are guilty sometimes haha.
I like what my senior used to say: we don't want 01 to be strong and 02 to be weak, we want 2 strong scout groups in RI. Ultimately, we are still Raffles, and we should support one another, and not constantly put each other down. When people ask me which scout group is better, I'll usually just talk a bit about my own experience in 01 and direct them to the 02 booth to learn about 02. Its only fair, you know? Maybe they do have something worth talk about too XD
All in all, no matter what you do, what choices you make, just make sure that you're willing to keep an open mind and develop a passion for it.
It worked for a little boy 4 years ago.
