Perhaps this slipped my mind, but I thought Toy Story 3 was a great movie when I watched it with my family last weekend! Yes, the plot might be slightly cliche and the outcome predictable, but I love it when there's a nice warm fuzzy ending at the end, and the movie provided some satisfying closure to the whole trilogy. The scene when Andy finally parts with Woody was really emotional and well, illustrated the importance of letting go.
I think we all have struggled with this decision in our lives. As we grow older we experience more and more things until it literally blows your mind to keep hoarding stuff up. There's a voice in your head telling you "Hey! That's special, you can't just junk it like that!" And the voice of reason goes "You know you should." And well, the voice of reason is a lousy debater.
It took a long time before I decided to clear most of my childhood toys, it took a long time for me to decide to leave Maris for Rosyth, it took a long time for me to get over a best friend who wasn't really a best friend anymore.
I guess when things really touched you at one point of your life, you want it remembered. You want the moment to be cherished and you want it to last. But when things change, as they will, the best memories will just lie in the past. Sometimes, holding on to things will just sours the memory and turns it to regret.
That being said, some things are worth keeping close to your heart. A perfect memory will always remain a perfect memory if you leave it alone, and we should never forget the good in people. But when you free yourself of the burden of your past, and look upon the world with renewed eyes, then we can truly live.
And perhaps, one day, we will rediscover the magic that was once burning so brightly.
"Now, you gotta promise to take good care of these guys. They mean... alot to me."
